Technology has become a cornerstone of our lives. It complements human intelligence beautifully, allowing you to achieve more with the information you have.Technology has the potential to improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of healthcare.
Mr. Anupam Chatterjee, Founder, and CEO at CEMPIA, A leader passionate about innovative technology is making disruptive changes in the healthcare sector with his highly efficient team.
CEMPIA stands for Customers Experience Management Platforms for Insights and Actions.CEMPIA is a Multi-channel, Multi-lingual, Digital Patient Experience Management Platform to understand Patient Experience at every touchpoint in the Hospital.
In a talk with Mr. Anupam, let’s discover his entrepreneurial journey since the beginning and their comprehensive offerings in the technology landscape.
• What inspired you to start the company? Please brief us on the company.
Till 2008, I was working in corporate. My motivation was to go up the corporate ladder fast and then I went to do my MBA studies in HEC Paris and MIT Sloan. This was a transformational experience for me as it inculcated in me to create things, reshape the future, create jobs, contribute to society, and make the world a better place. When I started working post-MBA, I joined teams on business innovation and capability creation and then I started winning entrepreneurship challenges. This combination of creating new things and winning entrepreneurial challenges propelled me to start TheDecisionLabs in 2014.
Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.André Gide
TheDecisionLabs is a production company specializing in customer experience management. Presently we have a portfolio of 3 products – CEMPIA, Liveserviz, and KlikHelp
• What were the initial challenges you faced?
We are in the field of Customer Experience and it’s associated with a certain image in India, where we started. When you think of CX in India, you think of an air hostess, or a receptionist or a call from the contact centre or guest relation officer in the hotel lobby. Rarely do we think of an analytical embedded platform to enhance the customer experience? So creating the awareness of product based CX and creating a category is both challenging as well as rewarding.
• Which was that point that triggered the growth of the company?
After opening TheDecisionLabs in October 2014, we started getting traction from late 2015 till early 2017 and then we got our first major breakthrough in 2017 in Malaysia and this is the point where the company started growing and getting international. Our horizons broadened and we started creating world-class products for the international market.
• How have the company graphs changed since the foundation? Can you share a few statistics?
From a small setup in a garage in Indiranagar, Bangalore to opening offices outside India and having 9 international partners with product deployments in 6 countries, TheDecisionLabs has come a long way in the last 6 years. CEMPIA is the flagship product of the company specializing in many in Patient experience management, but now we get lots of interest from hospitality, banking, retail, etc. With the advent of COVID, now we are also focussing on remote service management through Liveserviz, and a real-time automated help system called KlikHelp. So we are increasing our product portfolio, our geography reaches as well as the industry horizon.
• What is the reason behind your company’s long-standing success?
I think 2 main reasons are driving our success for the last 6 years.
- Customer obsession, making sure we do everything to ensure their success
- Constant innovation to ensure we are abreast with the latest technologies and industry requirements
• What are the products/services the company focuses on? How are your services different from those in the market?
• CEMPIA: (cempia.com) CEMPIA stands for Customers Experience Management Platforms for Insights and Actions. CEMPIA is a Multi-channel, Multi-lingual, Digital Patient Experience Management Platform to understand Patient Experience at every touch-point in the Hospital. CEMPIA is also used effectively for Customer Intelligence, Staff Appreciation, and Operational Analysis. CEMPIA captures patients’ feedback, suggestions, and complaints through a series of applications, and solves any dissatisfaction Real-Time.
CEMPIA is a Multi-channel, Multi-lingual, Digital Patient Experience Management Platform to understand Patient Experience at every touch-point in the Hospital.
• Liveserviz : (liveserviz.com) : Liveserviz is a service experience management solution embedded with advanced analytics. Customers are able to connect with service providers seamlessly through various digital channels and get served in real-time.
• KlikHelp : (klikhelp.com): KlikHelp is a Communication Experience Management Solution based on Conversational AI to streamline communication between the organizations and their customers. With KlikHelp customers, can reach out to their service providers – anytime, at any place, at their own convenience
• How do you decide to take the company a step further in terms of your products/services?
Being relevant in terms of the latest technology and industry needs is what guides the next step for product evolution of a tech start-up founder
• Is there any new addition to the list of products/services? Anything exciting you would like to share?
Post-COVID, the world will change completely, especially how human beings interact with each other. We have just launched Liveserviz and in the final development stage of KlikHelp keeping in mind the new needs of the upcoming world. The new world will be around self-service, digital interaction, social distancing, remote connections, and a lot of automated processes. Liveserviz and KlikHelp is part of building the new world and making it more comfortable and accessible.
• What do you think are the responsibilities of an entrepreneur?
Three main qualities defy the responsibilities of an entrepreneur
- Hiring the best talent and keeping them motivated
- Keep the focus and value of the organization at all times
- Ensure there is money in the bank at all times, so that engine is running
• Can you please brief us about your professional experience?
I have worked in corporate approx. 10 years from Fortune companies to Silicon Valley funded companies. My last role was VP and Lead Consultant in WNS Global Services, leading their capability creation unit. Academically I have an MS from Indian Statistical Institute and an MBA from HEC Paris and MIT Sloan (IEP) with a specialization in Global Strategy management from Harvard Business School, through MIT- Harvard cross-registration. For the last 6 years am in an entrepreneur role leading TheDecisionLabs.
• What are the key achievements of your entrepreneurial journey?
I have been fortunate to win many international awards and recognition in my entrepreneurial journey. I have been featured in many international magazines and invited to events as a speaker. To name a few – won the best health tech platforming Philippines, invited by Govt of Thailand to be a guest speaker in Start-up Thailand, won 2nd prize in DEXIC European Innovation challenge and back in India recognized with the most Innovating Patient experience management programme from CII.
I owe my success to my team and the great mentors and advisors I have, along with the support of my family.
• How do you look after your employees? What makes your team unique?
I try to onboard the best fit professionals, who are motivated and who work beyond money. I give them challenges all the time and also ensure they have enough flexibility to think and exhibit their talent. Although we are a start-up, it is very important to provide them a sense of financial security. Also every year we present every team member token of appreciation in the form of gifts, being part of TheDecisionLabs family.
• Is there any special experience with your clients you would like to highlight?
With time many of my clients have become my extended family, I feel their pain and try to solve them. There are numerous instances when the client has opened up their challenges and how we can help them – the sense of trust, a feeling of partnership is what makes the journey worth it. We are in most cases working together for a better outcome, a better world.
• Whose business story do you find the most inspiring?
I admire originality. When you create something new and make the world a better place. In recent times, I find Ritesh Agarwal of OYO quite inspiring. He has created a great business model with original thinking and perfect execution.
• Constant vigilance- a need or a strategy? Please share your views.
A balance is an optimal combination – it’s just like flying a kite: sometimes you let it float and sometimes you make a few strings pull
• It’s a rat-race out there. How do you cope with that?
I visited Rishikesh in 2018 December and it had a profound impact on me. I do not compare myself with any other individual. I am not in a race, but in a journey meeting people, appreciating interactions and slowly but surely moving towards my destination.
Anupam Chatterjee, Founder & CEO
Anupam is the Founder and CEO of TheDecisionLabs. Anupam has over 16 years’ experience in Analytics, Product Development, and New Business Innovation. An MS in Quantitative Economics from Indian Statistical Institute and MBA from HEC Paris and MIT Sloan (IEP), with strategy specialization from Harvard Business School, Anupam leads a bunch of very talented professionals in the field of analytics, technology, big data, social, mobile, cloud and consulting. They have created multiple Analytics products in Customer Experience Management with Advanced analytics. The Decision Labs (CEMPIA) is working with the finest Hospitals and creating State of the Art experience with in-depth analytics and Action workflows.
Because of his continuous service in the field of healthcare over the last 6 years , across multiple countries in Asia, Anupam has been invited by world famous Harvard Kennedy School of Government to participate in the Senior Executive Fellows program, which very few Indians have achieved till now- an example of a successful boot strapped profitable venture , yet touching millions of lives .