Reading Time: 3 minutes

CK Hutchison Seeks US$1.5 Billion From Panama Over Port Dispute

CK Hutchison Seeks $1.5 Billion From Panama Over Port Dispute | The Enterprise World
In This Article

Key Takeaways

  • CK Hutchison is seeking US$1.5 billion from Panama over 2 ports.
  • The Balboa and Cristobal terminals contributed to 1% lower throughput.
  • CK Hutchison owns 90% of Panama Ports Company, which operates terminals.

CK Hutchison seeks compensation over Panama ports

CK Hutchison said it notified Panama of the dispute on February 4 after efforts to reach a resolution failed. Panama’s Supreme Court ruled in January that Panama Ports Company’s concession to operate the 2 terminals was unconstitutional and annulled the contract. The government took control of the terminals on February 23.

The company owns a 90% stake in Panama Ports Company, which holds a 25 year concession to operate Balboa and Cristobal. The concession was renewed in 2021. CK Hutchison said the takeover involved property, equipment, technology, documents, and other materials connected with its investments in Panama.

The latest proceedings are separate from the contractual arbitration initiated by Panama Ports Company. The company is seeking at least HK$15.6 billion (US$2 billion) in damages through the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration.

CK Hutchison said the 2 proceedings concern different claims related to the port operations. The latest case focuses on its rights under an investment treaty, while Panama Ports Company’s proceedings concern its contractual claims.

The company said Panama held 1 consultation meeting more than 6 months after receiving the treaty notice. CK Hutchison said no compensation or resolution had been offered during the process.

Panama port dispute affects CK Hutchison operations

The dispute has also affected CK Hutchison’s wider port operations. The company said the termination of operations at Balboa and Cristobal reduced its overall port throughput by 1% during the first half of the year. Its wider port portfolio performed better compared with the same period a year earlier.

Balboa and Cristobal are located at opposite entrances to the Panama Canal and have formed part of CK Hutchison’s international port network, among other major global shipping hubs. The company operated the terminals through Panama Ports Company under its concession arrangement.

The dispute follows CK Hutchison’s proposed sale last year of 43 ports across 23 countries in a transaction valued at US$22.8 billion. The proposed transaction covered port assets across several international markets.

For Indian entrepreneurs and business owners, the development highlights the financial scale of international infrastructure operations. The 2 separate claims together represent more than HK$27.3 billion in requested damages, although they are being pursued through different proceedings.

The developments also got attention on the financial impact of changes involving major port assets. Balboa and Cristobal are connected to shipping activity around one of the world’s key maritime routes. Any changes involving their operations can affect the companies connected with the terminals and their wider international port networks.

The latest arbitration now adds another financial claim to the ongoing dispute over the 2 terminals. According to Reports, the proceedings remain separate, with CK Hutchison pursuing its investment-related claim and Panama Ports Company pursuing its contractual claim.

Did You like the post? Share it now: