Scribe TeleCare is an innovative solution that is providing opportunities for healthcare providers to continue to service their clients AND have completed documentation to support the care of their patients and facilitate reimbursement with one easy-to-use tool.
In this Interview with Mark D. Boyce, President, and CEO of Scribe Technology Solutions, let us know more about it.
Tell us about Scribe Technology Solutions.
Scribe Technology Solutions’ cloud-enabled platform provides tools for the capture, creation, communication, monetization, and analysis of healthcare information. Our depth of experience enables us to tailor our products and services to meet the unique challenges of each practice so that they will see higher productivity and capture more revenue while being able to focus on what matters most – the patient. The platform returns flexibility, control, and productivity to healthcare providers.
What were the initial challenges you faced?
Mark D. Boyce, Founder, and CEO noticed that a very small amount of the information generated during a patient encounter was used to better the delivery and documentation of healthcare and recognized that both providers and patients would benefit by combining technology to capture and later to manipulate and analyze that information.
As technology was not solving the issues presented to the providers, the company first looked at better ways to complete clinical documentation focusing on Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) and patient encounters.
Which was that point that triggered the growth of the company?
The widespread adoption of mobile phones and devices provided a foundation for the company to connect its innovative technology to the providers–giving them a ‘platform in their hands’ that would improve their profitability, productivity, and patient care. ScribeMobile allowed providers access to documentation anywhere and anytime in an easy-to-use format.
How have the company graphs changed since the foundation? Can you share a few statistics?
Scribe Technology Solutions started from the ground up with no existing staff, software, or clients. Through the subsequent years, we have processed over 50 million patient encounters. This is a result of building a base of medical providers and having supported more than 40,000 over this period.
Our customers range from solo independent practitioners to university hospital systems and cover a range of specialties from primary care, orthopedic surgeons, and behavioral health throughout the United States.
What is the reason behind your company’s long-standing success?
Scribe Technology Solutions’ success is built on a foundation of :
- Customization: Scribe Technology Solutions’ solutions are tailored to each practice. Our staff works with each new customer to understand that practice’s workflow, goals, and processes to develop the best user experience for our solutions.
- Experienced Workforce: Scribe Technology Solutions’ team is composed of people who have long been in the healthcare technology industry. And as the entire workforce works remotely, there aren’t the constraints of geography; the best person for a position can live in any corner of the country.
- Flexibility and Ease of Use: Once our solutions are designed for each practice, the day-to-day use will be straightforward. The providers do not need to change any other systems, including their EMR. Scribe Technology Solutions’ cloud-based solutions allow providers to work where and when they choose.
What are the products/services the company focuses on? How are your services different from those in the market?
Scribe Technology Solutions provides a complete family of patient encounter workflow solutions to record, manage, complete, and communicate clinical documentation that can be combined in any way to solve the individual organization’s needs. The company works with each practice to learn about the providers’ workflow and goals to engineer the processes that fit best. Its premiere solutions include,
- ScribeTeleCare: It is a telehealth solution designed and created by and for healthcare professionals. The flexible architecture allows for a virtual replication of a provider’s physical office workflow. This tool can be used with or without the documentation component. Moreover, providers can support the care of their patients and facilitate reimbursement with one tool.
- ScribeMobile: It is an app for both Android and iOS devices that gives providers greater freedom to focus on their patients instead of being tied to their computers and keyboards. The application gives providers the ability to capture patient encounters quickly and efficiently, and the ability to review, approve, and access patient documents and schedules at any time, and any place.
- LiveScribe: It gives providers the option of having a remote scribe to listen and record the patient encounter in real-time, resulting in more focus on the patient, faster, and accurate documentation as the EMR is completed by the scribe during the encounter. Moreover, with the addition of Livescribe to ScribeMobile, providers can further extend the capabilities of their devices by connecting to a remote (virtual) scribe in real-time to complete encounters.
How do you decide to take the company a step further in terms of your products/services?
Scribe Technology Solutions monitor what trends and technologies are changing within the industry and make adjustments accordingly.
Is there any new addition to the list of products/services? Anything exciting you would like to share?
Our most recent addition, Scribe TeleCare, was ready to be launched in Spring 2020. We had no idea that the introduction would happen at the same time as a pandemic surged and we are grateful for the opportunity to offer our providers a service they needed at such a time.
What do you think are the responsibilities of an entrepreneur?
I believe that entrepreneurs should set the vision, build an outstanding team, and never say no to a final answer – only “not yet.”
Can you please brief us about your professional experience?
Before founding Scribe Technology Solutions, I had more than three decades of management experience in finance, operations, marketing, and technology. I have worked with companies such as IBM, where I helped to start the IBM PC division. Later at Anixter, I was instrumental in formulating the strategy that fueled their growth from a $500 million company to a $1.5 billion company.
What are the key achievements of your entrepreneurial journey?
Entering the healthcare industry is a daunting barrier – and creating a viable company to compete in this marketplace. Knowing Scribe Technology Solutions makes a positive difference for our providers is the exact reason that Scribe Technology Solutions was founded.
How do you look after your employees? What makes your team unique?
Scribe Technology Solutions’ team is unique in how it came to be — it includes a combination of staff from companies that have merged with or been acquired by Scribe Technology Solutions, as well as the staff who Boyce has worked within other endeavors. The entire staff works remotely, and much of the staff has flexible work hours to meet their responsibilities to the company.
It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.Walt Disney
Is there any special experience with your clients you would like to highlight?
Scribe Technology Solutions is successfully working with behavioral health clients. Traditionally, this specialty is not paid as well as others, but their caseload is much higher and often includes traveling from location to location which cuts into their time to complete documentation of their patient encounters. These behavioral health professionals began using ScribeMobile, which they can use anywhere or anytime. The encounter narratives are typically much longer than with other specialties and they can now complete this task while on the road. ScribeTeleCare has been a useful tool for behavioral health practitioners as face-to-face visits were severely limited during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Can you tell us which your favourite book is? And your favourite part of the book?
After many years, my favorite book continues to be “Illusions” by Richard Bach, and this favorite quote from it: “You are never given a wish without the power to make it come true – you may, however, have to work for it.”
One person who you admire the most?
My list of the most admired people includes my father and Walt Disney, whose business story I find the most inspiring.
Constant vigilance- a need or a strategy? Please share your views.
In an industry such as healthcare that is constantly changing, it is always necessary to keep up with the latest trends, technologies, and opportunities. Our technology is based on artificial intelligence – another field that is evolving and requires continual upgrading. We need to always understand the environment where our solutions are used.
It’s a rat race out there. How do you cope with that?
To cope with stress, I make sure to follow some practices that help me- running, meditation, spending time with friends, and his interest in culinary delights.