HealthCare is on the rise, and since the pandemic, more power and attention are directed towards HealthCare and Medical resources. HealthCare is not about providing medical care and treatment to patients, discharging them once they are cured. There are many fighting chronic diseases and other serious ailments which require constant care and supervision.
In today’s fast-paced world, if you have a sick family member at home, it becomes exceedingly difficult to manage their health, your work, family, and other necessary matters.
Home helpers or caregivers do give one the benefit of having peace of mind when it comes to taking care of their elderly or sick family member.
Home helpers and caregivers are receiving more appreciation and attention, owing to their professional care and support standards. Opening a HealthCare franchise not only amounts to a good investment but supports all the families struggling to juggle their lives between medical care and attention to their family and their own personal and professional lives.
In conversation with the CEO of Homewatch CareGivers, Jennifer Tucker, MHS. Let’s hear about Homewatch, its services, opportunities, and the CEO’s professional journey so far.
1. Brief us about Homewatch CareGivers, what inspired you to start the company?
In 1980, Paul Sauer, founder of Homewatch CareGivers®, discovered not only a need for in-home healthcare services for people to continue to live safely and happily in their homes, but he also laid the foundation for how such care should be delivered. Today we call this person-directed care, which focuses on each individual and their unique needs as they receive compassionate care in their preferred surroundings.
He established Homewatch CareGivers as a leader in the home care industry. The original business expanded via a large, franchise network of local business owners in hundreds of locations across North America and internationally.
At Homewatch CareGivers, our local owners and their staff focus on the importance of the human interactions between their professionally-trained caregivers and every client. With this approach to care, both caregiver and care receiver feel a purpose to their day together.
Today, Authority Brands, LLC owns Homewatch CareGivers, LLC, which is headed up by COO Jennifer Tucker. The mission is to provide superior quality home care services, a compelling employment opportunity, and to be a trusted partner within the healthcare continuum.
2. What are the products or services the company focuses on? How are your services different from those in the market?
People have many different reasons for requiring care, so it’s essential to tailor home care services to individual needs and preferences. When you trust the highly qualified team at Homewatch CareGivers, you can rest easy knowing that you or someone you care for is receiving the very best in enriching, engaging, and empowering in-home care.
In-home care services can include:
- Elder Care: While there are many wonderful things about aging, everyday activities can become more difficult. Caregivers are available to lend a helping hand with transportation to the grocery store or appointments, complete light housekeeping tasks, and provide companionship to alleviate feelings of loneliness and isolation. We can assist with living as safely and independently as possible.
- Dementia Care: Dementia not only affects a person’s ability to remember experiences or people but also how to complete simple tasks. Specially trained memory care experts will develop a unique plan of care that can be modified as the person’s abilities change with condition progression.
- Care for Chronic Conditions: Managed or treatable conditions like diabetes, cancer, or degenerative disorders—for example, ALS, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, or multiple sclerosis—can make even simple activities difficult. Trained and compassionate caregivers will assist the individual with retaining as much independence as possible with daily tasks. Our customized plan of care changes with the person’s evolving needs.
- Hospital Discharge Care: Next steps and recovery time following a procedure can vary, whether a person has undergone joint replacement, been treated for pneumonia or heart issues, or experienced childbirth. Qualified caregivers are trained for the transition from hospital to home and are there every step of the way.
- Care for All Ages*: Finding someone to trust to care for your little one or aging parent is not always easy. If up against a last-minute schedule change or unforeseen circumstance we can step to assist. Regardless of the life situation, rest assured that caregivers are trained to help people of all ages, including child care.
- Respite Care: If you are the primary caregiver, you may need a short break from time to time. Caregivers can provide temporary short-term care while you tend to your health and well-being.
We also offer senior transportation, companion care, personal care, and more, from once a week to 24-hour care.
My mom’s saying, “You make and create your reality,” is one that always resonates with me and speaks to our ability to own our past, present, and future.
3. Please tell us about your team.
Our leadership team has worked extremely hard over the past couple of years ensuring that our priorities and goals aligned with the skill sets of our amazing team. We have A players in each role and our organizational structure supports our vision for the future. We use our company values to screen and hire new employees to ensure the best cultural fit. Our values are brought to life regularly during the Monthly Mashup (all-hands meeting) so that we stay aligned on what is most important— our goals (and progress toward them) and the purpose that we all bought into and that ties us together…empowering people.
The way our team attacks the initiatives with persistence and passion and the care that they provide our network of owners and each other never ceases to amaze me. Surrounding yourself with people who inspire excellence is the key to job satisfaction and success.
4. Please brief us about your professional experience
I have been with HWCG for almost 20 years. With a health care background, I saw the opportunity to influence population health through providing exceptional home care services to elders and others across North America. The way HWCG sees home care is that we are an extension of the health care industry, and one of the most important components of it.
Only 10-20% of healthcare outcomes are related to medical interventions whereas social determinants of health- what home care services impact- determine the 80-90% of health outcomes! So, bringing public health expertise to our network is a real plus. Previous to my two decades with HWCG, I worked in corporate wellness and women’s health.
5. What are the key achievements of your business journey?
Growing our network of committed and passionate franchise owners (we had 41 new territories sold in 2020) and helping them grow their revenues even through the COVID-19 pandemic. Equally important is their profitability, which we are similarly focused on using a platform that aggregates P&L data and provides a robust dashboard with bench marketing for our owners.
6. Any client experience you would like to highlight?
Our owners each have handfuls of these but one that sticks with me is a story of a client who had given up the will to live until his care team realized he had always loved painting. The caregiver bought him supplies so he could start painting again (from his bed as we were bed-bound) and his entire outlook changed for the better. His ability to engage with something he was passionate about gave him meaning and purpose…and has turned his life around.