Wheels move the nation towards prosperity. The transportation and logistics industry is one of the top vital industries that help the nation with day-to-day processes. Without transportation, the nation’s growth will take a pause. Thus, Transportation and Logistics play a vital role in the economic growth of the nation. BLR Logistiks is a leading name in the transportation and logistics industry due to its quality services offerings. They provide transportation, International Freight Management, Warehousing and Distribution, Project and ODC transportation, and Rail Cargo services to their valuable clients.
In a conversation with Mr. Ashok Goyal, Managing Director at BLR Logistiks (I) Ltd. let’s discover more about BLR Logistiks and its journey till now.
• Tell us about BLR Logistiks.
BLR Logistiks is a 30-year-old logistics company with a Pan India presence with 80 branches. We are into road transportation, bonded and general warehousing, 3 PL services, and international freight management
• What were the initial challenges you faced?
Like any new start-ups, the initial challenges were to arrange working capital finance as banks don’t fund you without collateral and a good balance sheet.
• Which was that point that triggered the growth of BLR Logistiks?
In 1996 after 7 years of being in the business, we had achieved a turnover of 10 CR. We participated in a transport tender floated by IPCL (Indian Petrochemicals Corp Ltd) and bagged business worth 37 CR!
In spite of working capital challenges, we could execute the contract successfully and then there was no looking back
• How have BLR Logistiks graphs changed since the foundation? Can you share a few statistics?
Initially, BLR Logistiks is a pure trucking company.
In 2005, we started a new warehousing Division where we do bond and general warehousing and also international freight management.
We are now managing 8 lacs sq. feet of space and our ratio is now 80% business is road transport and 20% warehousing and international freight management.
We are moving towards making the ratio 60:40.
• What is the reason behind your company’s long-standing success?
The reason for our success is our team which has stayed with us since its inception and also because of reliability and transparency.
We have changed with the times and adjust to customer demands.
Moving from the transitional transport business we are now leveraging on technology to take us further.
• What are the products/services BLR Logistiks focuses on?
Our services are mostly Exim-focused logistics services. We mainly offer the following services
• Full Truck Load (FTL) Transportation
• Less than Truck Load (LTL) Transportation
• 32 feet Containerized Vehicles.
• Premium Car Transportation
• Hazardous Cargo Transportation
• 24hrs Surface Express (Delhi-Mumbai & Mumbai-Bangalore)
Warehousing and Distribution
We are one of the few warehousing companies in India with 80 branches and a fleet of 2,500 owned and attached vehicles. Apart from that, we also offer DPD-customer facilities where containers can be stored or cargos can be de-stuffed and stored in our general warehouse.
International Freight Management
• Ocean Import/Export Freight Management
• Air Import/Export Freight Management
• Custom Clearance Services
Project and ODC Transportation
• Loading and Unloading
• Road Surveys
• Lashing and Leashing
BLR Logistiks is the ideal choice for cargo that needs to be transported from one end to another by rail. You can completely rely on our rail cargo services as we will never disappoint you because we are highly professional and take care of your goods, from the beginning of the journey to the very end. Over the years, rail freight transport in India has become quite popular, mainly for two reasons, it is economical and fast.
• How do you decide to take the company a step further in terms of your services?
We realize that there is a dearth of players who fulfil all the compliance of the customers in terms of transit safety.
Hence we are now focusing on chemical customers who don’t mind paying a premium, provided the compliances are met.
• Is there any new addition to the list of products/services? Anything exciting you would like to share?
We have just inaugurated a 13-acre logistics park at JNPT MUMBAI, where we offer bundled services to our Exim customers.
By bypassing the CFS, and other service solutions, they are able to save at least 10-15% of their logistics cost.
• What do you think are the responsibilities of an entrepreneur?
First and foremost, I think is to build a formidable team.
If your team is trained, the leader can think of adding more business
• Can you please brief us about your professional experience?
This was a family business and I joint it immediately after I finished my graduation way back in 1986.
At that point in time, BLR Logistiks was a proprietor firm and it was converted into a Pvt. ltd company in 1989.
I have worked in all areas of the business, be it operations, accounts or marketing.
• What are the key achievements of your entrepreneurial journey?
The key achievements would be
A: getting the IPCL tender in 1996, which was the first stepping stone towards building the company, what it is today
B: starting the warehousing Division in 2005
C: getting VC finding (first trucking in India to do so) in the year 2007.
• How do you look after your employees? What makes your team unique?
We are a big family. The employees are treated just like your family.
The very fact that my car driver or our despatch clerk is with us since inception speaks about how we treat our employees.
We give weight to experience, and a person who had joined us a loading supervisor in 1989 is a director -operations today.
• Is there any special experience with your clients you would like to highlight?
when we approach a new client we first see whether we can add value to his supply chain.
We study his current practices and then suggest changes.
A lot of our clients have benefitted in reducing their costs (even in crores per year) by solutions provided by BLR Logistiks.
• Can you tell us what your favourite book is?
Generally, prefer reading autobiographies of famous personalities who have been successful in their business fields and try to incorporate some of the ideas in my own business.
This has really been very helpful
• One person, who you admire the most?
I would say my mom who despite being illiterate gave us the best of education and kept our moral values very high.
• Whose business story do you find the most inspiring?
I read the autobiography of Mary Kay and was inspired by how she converted her cosmetics business from a garage into a worldwide business.
• Which is the most inspiring quote you have read?
AUT INVIEAM VIAM AUT – I shall either find a road or build one
• Constant vigilance- a need or a strategy? Please share your views.
Constant vigilance, I would say is a need.
Business dynamics are changing every day and hence once need to stay alert.
• It’s a rat-race out there. How do you cope with that?
We have always tried to make decisions based on market dynamics. We follow what is best for BLR Logistiks and not take decisions just because others are doing it.
For recent and latest updates regarding business news, industry trends etc. Please subscribe Newsletter from “The Enterprise World” at “Subscribe“